Thursday, October 8, 2009

Meeting #12 - 10/07/09

For our writing exercise this week, I took a few passages of description from some books and dumbed them down into very simple sentences with general imagery. We rewrote them, adding our own style and specific images to create more colorful descriptions. It was cool to see how everyone's was different.

Then we talked a little about the pieces we brought. Jo suggested that we get a Fictionpress page where we could all post chapters of our stories and keep them all straight. I think that sounds like a great idea. Jo, if you want to be in charge of that, you can go ahead and create it. I'd also be willing to create it if you need me to.

I'd like to start focusing more on writing goals--I think that's a very helpful part of being a productive writer. If you have a specific, measurable weekly or monthly goal on the goals post and you can report back to everyone that you've achieved your goal, I'll buy you a candy bar or ice cream or something. A reward of your choice (but nothing too expensive, obviously). Feel free to reward yourselves as well for a job well done. Try telling yourself that if you write five thousand words by Friday night, you'll buy yourself a pizza or that new shirt you've been wanting. I know that's helped me a lot.

NaNoWriMo is coming up. I'll be participating, and I'll let you know when I sign up on the site. Anyone else going to do it with me?

Next week, we're meeting at Jo's house at the usual time on the usual day. Hope to see you there!

5 comments:

  1. I can definitely set up the fictionpress account. Do you guys want a specific name for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh, just give it some random name. Like pull a word from a dictionary. Somnambulists...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, it's done. We are officially The Writing Somnambulists. I made a fictionpress and a gmail account. I'll give the passwords to everyone on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, seriously! I guess if no one else came up with anything...I was half-joking.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, NaNoWriMo! I'm excited for that. I probably won't win, again, but I'll at least get a bunch written.

    ReplyDelete