Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Brainstorm

I, too, have pictures to share! These are the new versions of two baddies in my game. I'm sure those of you who have played Demo 1 will be able to figure out who they are (although they look nothing like their previous incarnations). Aren't they cute? :D



Demo 2 is still coming. I've been learning Ruby, the programming language my game essentially runs on, so that maybe someday I can write my own scripts for the game and be able to sell it... like, for money, on the internet and stuff. If I can't get a second job, I'll need to find some way to survive, right?

I have also been putting together a master list of items for the game. One thing I dislike about how the program works is that there's no way for the player to sort their items. They will appear in the same order as I program them in, and there's no way for me to insert spaces into the list without moving everything, and since the program references everything by number, inserting items into the list simply won't work. Being the organization freak that I am, I really want everything to be orderly and logical, so that all the potions will be together in one group and the swords will be in another. So what I've done is set up an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all my items, weapons, etc. and what order I want to put them in. Then, when I'm fairly certain I've created all the items I'm going to create, I can plug in the master list and go through the entire game and fix all the item references. This, of course, will take at least a week. The things I do for this project...

But in the meantime, you guys can help me brainstorm ideas for items, weapons, skills, and the like! That way, I can add more things to the master list now and save myself the trouble later on. If you have any ideas you want to give me, I'd love to hear them! Just so you know, there are twelve elements I use in my game: Fire, Water, Thunder, Earth, Growth (like plants and stuff), Ice, Light, Shadow, Wind, Poison, Gravity (also mass/space), and Time. Physically speaking, there are five attributes: Cut, Stab, Smash, Energy (raw magic power, has no element) and Limit (these skills have high costs and are useful mainly on bosses). It's usually best for skills and weapons to keep to one, MAYBE two attributes. If a Fire/Cut skill hits an enemy who absorbs Fire but is weak to Cut, for instance, the skill will do extra damage. The program goes with the attribute that would do the most damage, instead of averaging out like it probably should. So keeping things to one attribute makes everything a lot simpler. I also have tons of status effects, pretty much everything you'd see in your average RPG. I'm not opposed to adding some if you have any ideas for those, too.

Leave a comment if you have any ideas or questions! :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the pictures. Though I haven't had a chance to look at the demo yet, I will be able to soon though.

    ReplyDelete