Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Meeting #3 - 08/06/09

Tonight, we started off with a fun writing exercise where we each write a line of a story and then fold over the line written before ours. Essentially, each person only gets the previous line to base theirs off of. I'll be posting some of the best stories soon!

We talked about creating a lit mag-esque book by the end of the year featuring a few pages from each of us. Everyone seemed pretty interested, so I think we'll go ahead and do it. We also talked about setting a goal for ourselves and publishing it on the blog, so everyone else can help keep us on track. (You can add your goal and check up on everyone else here).

After that, we read a few stories and poems that people brought and talked about them. Although I hope the blog sees more activity soon, I do actually like having the paper copies to read. So if anyone wants to keep bringing those, feel free.

Finally, we watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Thanks to Jo for bringing it!

Now, to some other business. As we get more content on the blog, I'll be making some changes to the format. For now, it would be great if you could add your name as a label on the pieces you publish. That way I can create a handy link on the sidebar to all of your pieces. If you forget or whatever, no worries. I can do it for you too.

Also, Rachel and I were talking after the meeting and we thought it might be great if we all got better acquainted with the various projects we're working on. That way, we'd all have the big picture in mind when we share pieces of our stories or poetry collections or whatever. So I think starting next week, we'll have someone present their current project each week, pass out excerpts, have some Q+A, etc. If anyone wants to go first, post a comment or send me an email. If no one else wants to go, Rachel and/or I will probably have stuff ready. And obviously if you don't have a big project, then this doesn't apply. Maybe we can even convince you to start one? It's great fun.

I also think we should have some open writing time at the end of each meeting. I know I love going to the library to write because it frees me from the distractions I have around my house, so this could be similar. Plus if we're all together, we'll be able to get help with finishing an awkward sentence or finding the perfect word. We'll put this at the end so those who don't have anything to work on won't miss anything important if they want to leave.

Thanks to everyone who came tonight for making it a success. And for those who didn't come, I hope we see you next time. Our meeting next week will be at Jo's house, and I'll get an email sent out with the address and directions. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment